Saturday, July 4, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance?

WE MADE IT!!! After our... 35 hour long journey we are finally in Kenya and, better yet, at Huruma!! It was so good to see everyone when we got out of the cars. We missed them all so much, and the feeling was mutual. I, personally, felt like a celebrity when i arrived. I got out of the van and there were SO many kids that wanted to say hi and give me a hug. and... I SAW HANNAH!!! We sat and just talked for a while after we saw each other. That was good :) she's gotten so much more talkative. Wow. I missed them all so much it feels so great to be here! I couldn't stop smiling on the way home from the airport. I rode home with just me and Lisa from AZ, the others were all kids at the home. So it was so much fun talking and laughing with them... and keeping me from getting car sick on the bumpy one hour trip from the airport! :) We went to fellowship (which is like a youth group for junior high and high school age kids.) and they had a dance night! I was so scared to dance at first when they all wanted me to... But I eventually gave in and went up to the "dance floor." Silvia and Anne taught me some moves! :) They are AMAZING dancers! Everytime a song came on they immediately knew exactly what to do and were constantly on the same page with each other. They'd switch into a new move after a while, and were always switching at the same time into the same thing. I don't know if they had some sort of secret language or were whispering in Kiswahaili so we didn't know what they were saying, but however they did it it was impressive! We all had so much fun... Even those not dancing! Mom sat and watched with Millicent and she said she had a lot of fun just watching all of us who danced. Anne does this little bootie shake thing that I tried... Yeah. Definitely NOT happening. It was still a lot of fun... and Greer, Alissa, Heather, and I showed them the hand jive (from Grease!) and the Macaraina... however you spell that. We even adjusted them so they fit with the beat. We felt a little out of place dancing with them, though. Seeing how well they do it and how naturally it just comes to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment